I didn’t tell you about it. Sounds like a neat application – I usually pull out the paper and pencil as others stated; would be even better if it helped calculate conversions for leather skins to yardage. This will be useful for anyone who deals with fabric and product costs, from designers and pattern makers to marker makers and production sewing rooms. At least that’s my thinking. The whole shooting match relies heavily on the chapter in my book on making markers which includes the working in of all sizes; not something that people cutting single items at home would do. If the cost of goods are too high, you wouldn’t buy any yardage for sampling. Allocation/Yield and costing Blinds . All Rights Reserved. It would be very useful to be able to enter length and width measurements to get total yardage needed – – – and also an options for fabric width 54″-110″. tables and be able to do calculations like these. http://www.gulenoconsulting.com/getfabriccalc. As someone who sells 110″ and 90″ wide organic cotton fabric to see it only goes up to 66″ is disappointing. In fact, when I was traveling more to Dallas and did shows at the merchandise mart there, Verizon had almost no service in the mart. I never claimed this tool is a total solution to resolve one’s fabric calculations. I get a lot of oohs and aahs on the rare occasions I go to the fabric store. That doesn’t mean it won’t be useful to a lot of people who routinely have to figure these estimates on the fly. Yardage pricing comparison Lay ends as a percentage, will be less on a longer lay of narrower goods. Britannica touched on my question … since pattern piece layout, and waste, are quite different for each width, is it possible for sensible conversions to be made? My contract was up (by 1.5 years) and I needed a “new” phone. No I don’t make any money on it. Do I need to be more specific about constraints? Harper Della-Piana: That new and better application -called Fabric Calc– is ready to go. We are focused on developing apps for the iPhone, so we currently have no plans to develop for the Blackberry. I’m just settling in and won’t be doing the iPhone thing. Hello everyone, I’m the developer that worked with Kathleen to create Fabric Calc. For example, a wide skirt pattern could be easily placed on 60 inch wide fabric, but not on 45 inch wide fabric, and a decoratively long pattern piece could be placed on a longer piece of 45 inch fabric, but not on the equivalent length (area being equal) of a 60 inch fabric. Or, you’re meeting with a buyer in a hallway or something? I tell people to get all kinds of things, do they? As for the APP (the real reason for writing), this does seem useful. The questions raised here also speaks to the matter that no sane person should order production yardage at this stage. In fact, all our apps are developed on the iPod touch. I think this is a neat tool if you have an iPhone. Say, if you had the fabric yield for a garment for 45″ wide fabric and wanted to know the yield for 60″ goods. The marker chapter illustrates how to calculate allocation as a rule of thumb that encompasses all sizes. You have to admit that having a tool like this handy when you’re sourcing at a show is pretty impressive considering how suppliers are technological laggards. Then I saw the Allocation/Yield and costing function, and thought that anyone who has a marker with constraints will know their allocation for that product and will find that part useful. Sounds pretty cool to me, I just wish it handled wider width fabrics. Then the factory measures the length of the fabric needed to make one garment. [getWidget results="6" label="recent" type="list"], [getWidget results="6" label="apparel%20news" type="list"]. I’m teasing you Alesia (not criticizing you) but people would have something to say about it how it won’t work for them. She's been mentioned numerous times in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, National Public Radio, Boston Globe, LA Times, Vogue, French Vogue and has at least 15 Project Runway alums at last count. Win Fabric Calc! A long time Verizon customer, I switched to ATT about a year ago in order to get an iPHONE. There are more details and purchase information on the site. Maybe faster. Let’s say the allocation for a production run of your widget is 40 yards of 47″ fabric and you want to know how much fabric to buy if you find fabric that is 54″. This is rather easy for me to do (throwing in an allowance for perhaps needed re-cutting of pieces) so I sometimes forget that not everyone can do this. Yards-meters, $/yd vs EU/M…etc. Yes Britannica, there can be constraints and you’re right, it depends on the knowledge of the buyer. I was holding out for something better and contacted the developer. Personally I keep a collection of formulas in a moleskin book that travels with me. No, the app won’t make markers for you on the fly. The third function of the application aids in allocation and costing. Yardage width conversion I am no more “enslaved” to ATT than I was to Verizon because anytime you upgrade and get a new “phone” you are on the hook for something. we've started you off with our standard sizes below: Fabric width in cm. It has become a very useful tool, especially when traveling to trade shows and being able to keep in touch with customers, the office and home. Kathleen writes nearly all of the articles on Fashion-Incubator.com and hosts its forum, the largest private online community for apparel manufacturers on the web. To be sure there can a variation in percentage of waste -either way- but again, someone using this tool is likely to be more sophisticated regarding their product attributes. Get all latest content delivered straight to your inbox. 3. The point being, if you have a body you’ve already been using and think the goods you’re seeing at the show would work for it, you need to do a rough cost calculation to determine whether the fabric would work within the cost constraints of the new goods. But then if it did, people here would be complaining that the app didn’t adjust allocation for smaller hides like lamb vs large ones (cow), ones with nap vs grains etc. I’m not one given to be fond of objects but I love my iphone. If it fits in there, then you would buy some and therefore be in a position to arrive at more solid figures. The answer is shown in D. You would need only 34.8 yards of the wider fabric rather than 40. I just submitted to Apple an update of Fabric Calc that includes support for widths from 32″ to 110″. The better value (view B) will be indicated with a check mark. However, someone likely to buy this tool and use it, will have run through the scenario of having to make cost/width comparisons on the fly and would readily see the benefit of it. If you don’t, well, I can’t be objective. Get how to guides to resolve issues in apparel production. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If you know the area and fabric width, you can calculate the length of the fabric. So you’re all right, this app isn’t a magic wand for everyone. :). Likewise, if they are of such size, cutting on larger width goods results in higher waste, not lower. The fabric area is calculated considering the maximum utilization of fabric in widthwise. This entry is the follow up to my premature announcement back in December. There’s no big red EASY button for complex matters. People always complain there isn’t this or that such thing they need and when there is, nobody buys it and then people (like I said) complain about it. Yardage width conversion, fabric width options are 33″-66″. On purpose. The total fabric cost for this cut order will display in the box labeled C. If you can’t do these figures in your head, you can use a spreadsheet or a calculator to figure these things out if you happen to be in front of your computer or have a calculator handy. Thank you for your interest in Fabric Calc! Fabric Calculator × 1 Please check the dimensions of your fabric. My immediate thought was the layout problems mentioned above. Pattern Repeat in cm. 3 add your curtain/blind size. Eric works with this guy who is famous for saying “but…but…but…did you think of this?”, stellar at figuring out all the ways something won’t work rather than being flexible enough to see the ways it would. Also, if you can’t multiply fractions in your head, surely a paper and pencil is as fast as pulling out your iphone, putting in numbers (correctly) and getting the answer. 4 Choose your style. But what if you’re talking to a vendor at a fabric show and are doing well enough trying to juggle a notebook and pen? It doesn’t mean it won’t be useful to people who can map the pattern pieces in their head from memory and arrive at an estimation of either reduced or increased waste percentages. How to start a clothing line or run the one you have, better. The following steps are taken to measure fabric consumption. For example, it doesn’t resolve the matter of lay ends or one-ways should those be required on the new fabrication either. Okay, I have to join the crowd. Inches . You can also click on the answer (D) to toggle between a decimal or a fractional number, which will round up to the nearest 1/8 yard. Copyright OnlineClothingStudy.com. This speaks to the matter of pattern engineering, another facet I didn’t mention.

Learning Journals Guru, Mastermind Questions Archive, Sarah Name Meaning In Islam, Lactaid Stomach Ache, 1 Peter 5:5-7 Nkjv, Nightpack Ambusher Pioneer, Seamstress Meaning In Urdu, Replacement Couch Cushion Covers,