(What else did you expect from a tropical plant?) It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Fall is finally here and we are beginning to enjoy our first few bursts of cold air coming in from the northwest. Flowers take about 2 years to develop on a mature plant. We use it for seasoning (the leaves can be added to soups like bay leaves) and to treat upset stomachs (ginger is a champion at calming queasiness… I pop chunks of it into tea all through campaign season). It’s also humid here, so Florida is a good place to grow ginger, but you can grow ginger north of here as well. You will also start to get multiple shoots. You can use it in chutneys, stir-fries, curries, soups, desserts, teas, juices, and more. Learn how your comment data is processed. Consider growing ginger in containers if you live in zones 6 or below so that you can move the inside or under cover when temperatures go below 50°F. It takes about 6 to 8 months before your ginger plant is ready for you to start harvesting. Planting Ginger Root. Once you’ve soaked your pieces of ginger you can plant them. Required fields are marked *. Its underground stems, or rhizomes, are plump and tan, and they smell pungent and spicy. I drink carrot juice almost every morning these days with our Omega Juicer. Here in Central Florida, the zone is 9b. Sun and Soil Requirements. For me, keeping ginger in a pot on my front porch that faces east is a great location. You’ll want to soak your pieces for a few hours before planting. Freshly harvested ginger rhizomes. These are where the new stems will grow. Water your pot until water starts to flow out of the bottom. Photo by Molly Jameson. It likes warm temperatures and humidity. Ginger is a rhizome, also called a creeping rootstalk. Place all of the ingredients through your juicer. All Rights Reserved. You can also mist your ginger if you live somewhere dry since they prefer humid climates. It also aids in digestion and relieves heartburn. Once you get started growing your ginger it doesn’t take as long to harvest additional pieces. Growing ginger is pretty easy if you live in a warm, humid location. If you’re interested in growing flowering ginger, this is a different variety of ginger compared to culinary ginger. After 3 months your plant should be about two feet tall. The two recipes below are quick and easy to make beverages that are healthy and allow you to absorb the benefits of ginger. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Ginger needs mildly acidic soils for healthy growth of rhizomes. It likes warm temperatures and humidity. Plant specs. Ginger is an easy plant that you can grow if you live in a warm, humid climate. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. What ginger can't stand is frost, direct sun, strong winds, and soggy, waterlogged soil. What Ginger Plants Like And Dislike. Both types grow the same way, but culinary ginger flowers are not as spectacular as the kind shown below. You can break your ginger into pieces to grow multiple plants, just make sure each piece is at least an inch or two long and has at least one nub.

Can I Apply Rosemary Oil Directly To Scalp, Duncan Hines Creamy Home-style Frosting Classic Chocolate, Gender Equality Problems And Solutions, Shore Kannada Meaning, Faux Leather Sectional Couch Cover,