Stuffed Dormice. They are in the same family as squirrels. The dish was a delicacy in ancient Rome. Archaeologists in Northamptonshire are unearthing the recipe secrets of the Romans. 2). Seafood was very popular in the Roman cuisine as well. We often think of the Mediterranean triad – bread, wine and olive oil – as the diet of most Romans, but in fact food in ancient Rome was much more diverse. I really did try for the original meat but was thwarted by a plague…ok a monkey pox. The pigeons were on that silo, day in and day out. These adorable mice were much bigger than the ones we know today and were generally stuffed with pork and seasoned with pepper and broth. They are in the same family as squirrels. The March Hare and the Hatter put the Dormouse’s head in a teapot. At the original making of the recipe, I had a pork loin on hand and decided to use 1″ cuts to act as the “Dormice” body while keeping to the pork filling. Archaeologist Martin Weaver said a burned bowl found at the site contained the remnants of hare stew. Layer by Layer: A Mexico City Culinary Adventure, Japanese 'Love Hotels' Are Kind of Perfect for Pandemics, In Nairobi, Young Diners Clamor for Traditional Kenyan Cuisine, California Is Named for a Griffin-Riding Black Warrior Queen, The Unsettled Legacy of the Bloodiest Election in American History, Inside Rome’s Secure Vault for Stolen Art, In Naples, Praying With Skulls Is an Ancient Tradition, Inside a Domed Pyramid With Astounding Acoustics and a History of Miracles, See the Mysterious Horned Helmet of Henry VIII, Searching for Home and Connection Through Typewritten Poetry, The Female Shark Spotter Protecting Réunion Island’s Surfers, Bob Ramsak, Piran Café/Used With Permission, hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=clanak&id_clanak_jezik=89983, secretcroatia.blog/2012/02/05/eating-dormice-on-hvar-island/, sarahemilybond.com/2017/06/06/pass-the-dormice-breeding-selling-and-eating-honeyed-dormice-in-antiquity/, borutpeterlin.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/hunting-and-eating-dormouse-2/, www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dormouse-jars-glirarium-rome. A lot of people probably have a distaste for eating rats or mice. Offer subject to change without notice. Although the real Apicius lived during the 1st century, the recipes are actually a compilation that was published sometime during the 4th century AD. Posted on 07/21/2003 4:18:11 PM PDT by blam. Be the first to share a photo of this item with our community. OXFORD, England — A starter of stuffed dormouse, anyone? This tasty tidbit came about by accident. So did the Romans as the suggested sauce for Dormice is honey with poppy seeds drizzled over the tidbits, which is suggested by Pliny in Herkotz. These bad boy stuffed piggy posing as Dormice are now ready to be placed into the oven for 30 minutes (or until thoroughly cooked) at 350. I place the stuffed loins on their bottoms instead of laying them on the side. The next step is to take the pork loin rounds and slice into the sides; roughly 2 1/2 – 3 inches wide. So, today’s theme being bay leaves and mice in ancient Rome, what do we do for recipes? Wine cakes. 1). (or crushed garlic), 2). In fact, the Romans went to great lengths to flavour dishes. The Romans were known to enjoy a dormouse or two, and there are recipes to prove it, but dormice are not, technically speaking, mice. Salted pork, because it could travel farther and preserve longer, was less expensive, and would have been the type of meat consumed by all but the very poorest. It was a luxury delicacy snack for the upper classes. Period Roman sausage or sausage stuffing included a plethora of ingredients: “Lucanian sausages:…Pepper is ground with cumin, savory, rue, parsley, condiments, bay berries and garum. All liberally seasoned with fish sauce. More recently, the field of environmental archaeology, which includes the sub-disciplines of archaeobotany and zooarchaeology (the study of ancient plant remains and animal bones respectively), has been able to provide us with a wealth of new information: bones and soil samples collected during archaeological excavations in places such as Pompeii and Herculaneum have led to the recovery of foodstuffs such as fish bones, peppercorns and mint seeds. I hope everyone is doing great today! Roberts said it was a masterpiece. So I have come up with two ideas. Stuff the dormice with minced pork, the minced meat of the whole dormice, pounded with pepper, pin-kernels, asafetida, and liquamen,. For example, the short but sweet life of the dormouse is highlighted by the display of a large terracotta jar, a glirarium, in which dormice were deposited and encouraged to get fat as if for hibernation. Fine delicacy in some parts of the world. Follow us on social media to add even more wonder to your day. Consumption practices in ancient Rome, too, ranged from the traditional to the truly exotic. Mix together. Today, the edible dormouse is still a traditional dish in Croatia, where it is known as puh, and Slovenia, where it is known as polh. Courtesy of WikiCommons & Sailko. Ask people to dress up toga (accurate or inaccurate) and serve only the most authentic food that will give your family and friends a taste of a different world and time! Or roast in a portable oven.” Apicius, ‘De Re Coquinaria’ The edible dormouse (Glis Glis – so called after the Romans) Lots of the foods that we know and love today were found in America and were unknown in Europe before 1492. WE'RE GONNA HAVE ROAST RABBIT! Let's remember that Rome existed in a world that had not yet discovered the Americas. 205) Ingredients: Although the recipe I have chosen is one of rarity is probably never cooked anymore; I hope it will lend some insight into the Roman and their food choices. Our best wishes for a productive day. No purchase necessary. For more of  a collection of recipes in Latin and English, please see this wonderful website: Eight Recipes from Around the Roman Table-Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome (here). In both countries, edible dormouse is a traditional peasant dish and dormouse trapping is an important event. Courtesy of WikiCommons and JasonAQuest. And within each food type there was a range of goods suited to fit every financial budget: cheap local plonk or expensive Falernian wine from the Bay of Naples; home grown pot-herbs or exotic seasonings from India, and traditional salted pork or the coveted salted tuna from Spain. Excavations in the county have shown the dish of the day 2,000 years ago was freshly-grilled hare and stuffed dormice. Thanks! Nearby are kitchen utensils that would have been used to cook them. It was mainly eaten as part of a snack,part of a main course, or even as a dessert. All rights reserved. These adorable mice were much bigger than the ones we know today and were generally stuffed with pork and seasoned with pepper and broth. Sew up, place on a baking tile, and put them in the oven; or cook the stuffed (dormice) in a pan. They were fed acorns and chestnuts through holes in the side. Put in a pan and bring to the boil. As the centre of an enormous empire, Rome attracted goods and foods from the provinces and beyond. I will be honest and admit that this post is coming to fruition a bit later than I have liked. Archaeologists in Northamptonshire are unearthing the recipe secrets of the Romans. Common vegetables included cabbage, onion, garlic, lettuce and leeks. The original Dormice are cute fluffy tailed small rodents that fit into the palm of a hand. 205), 3 – 1 1/2” pork rounds                    1/2 cup ground pork  (plain pork meat), ¼ cup pine-nuts                               1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp fish sauce                                1 tsp crushed garlic. (Flower, pg. Peaches were an expensive fruit, only introduced into Italy in the mid 1st century AD. I don't know if they could afford them in Londinium. Sew up, and place on a tile, put in the oven or cook, stuffed, in a small oven. Cutting into the pork loin along the sides and end with out cutting through to form a pocket on the inside of the meat. Price fluctuated based on what was in season, but in general, the most popular fruits were grapes, olives, figs, apples, pears, pomegranates and blackberries. Wonder what they stuffed them with. It is literally death at the feast. Elmer Fudd.... Had to be hummingbirds, the mice are so small! Experiment, but experiment with a light hand! It is clear from the numerous modern cookbooks, blogs and museum exhibits that Roman food continues to inspire our culinary practices today. There seems to be a problem, please try again. Offer available only in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico). Call at least 48 hours in advance so that they have time to contact a dormouse supplier. Jaguar earlobes! In Croatia, particularly on the island of Hvar, they are grilled over an open flame and served on bread. Dormice: “Stuff the mice with minced pork, likewise with mouse meat from all (fleshy) parts of the mouse ground with pepper, pine kernels, laser, and garum (or broth). Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual Please enter your number below. This Spanish pâté was so inspiring, someone wrote a poem about it. Most commonly known from its appearance in Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland’ s Tea Party. Roman Dinner Party? Lastly, I have provided at the end of this article more options for recipes (that are not odd, rare, or obscure) for your trying. The Murecine tablets [a collection of wooden writing tablets, found in a villa just outside Pompeii in an area now called the ‘Agro Murecine’], also buried during the eruption of Vesuvius, record that many of these pulses were imported from Egypt. Titled Last Supper in Pompeii, the show includes about 300 objects loaned by Naples and Pompeii, many of which have never left Italy before. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of Gastro Obscura in your inbox. "It is really starting to highlight the interaction of the people who were living here and gives a real insight into what they were doing here and how long they were here.". Traditionally, the staple of the Roman diet was wheat: large bakeries in Rome’s port town, Ostia, attest to the fact that most Romans ate much of their wheat as bread. Now, Dr Erica Rowan, one of the archeologists involved in the project, tells you everything you need to know about ancient Roman culinary habits. Here’s one of the recipes for a sauce to serve with boiled ostrich meat: “Pepper, mint, roasted cumin, celery seed, long or round dates, honey, vinegar, passum (raisin wine), liquamen (fish sauce) and a little oil. Stuff the dormice with minced pork, the minced meat of the whole dormice, pounded with pepper, pin-kernels, asafetida, and liquamen,. We also have a lovely post on Roman Halloween Costume Ideas here. What better way, said Roberts, for us to connect with the ancient Romans as ordinary people than through food and drink? I was looking to do a very period recipe called Glires ( Stuffed Dormice). In a journey that took several months, the black pepper was shipped across the Indian Ocean, up the Red Sea, along the Nile to Alexandria before being put on a boat and sent to Rome. The edible dormouse gets its name from the ancient Romans, who grilled and ate this small animal with gusto (and plenty of honey). I further wondered what use would a Latin or Ancient Roman Recipe be to my readers. One favourite of the Romans were dormice. All rights reserved. Yesterday was my birthday and I came home to a surprise party! Just getting started with a new alphabet or writing system? Sosha Lyon's O'Rourk's Medieval Redactions English, Italian, Middle Eastern, Roman, Medieval Redactions and Recipes, Medieval Research Papers, Subtleties – Grill Mistress of the Pork. "The Romans were actually living and working here as I am doing now. Atlas Obscura and our trusted partners use technology such as cookies on our website to personalise ads, support social media features, and analyse our traffic.

Dewalt 780 Mitre Saw, Cents Per Kilometre Ute, Bumper Reinforcement Repair Cost, Lens Flare Png, H7 6000k Led Bulb, Australian Shepherd Documentary, Zinsser Water-based Primer, You're Gonna Live Forever In Me Chords,